In mathematics, you may find various types of classification of numbers based on their properties and nature. For example, real numbers, whole numbers, rational and irrational numbers, natural numbers, and many others. Similarly, decimals are the kind of numbers that helps in the representation of integer numbers and non-integer numbers. We can also define decimals as the whole number and the part of the fraction which is being segregated with the help of a decimal point. Let us take an example, 42.5 is considered as a decimal number. Here, 42 is the part of the whole number and 5 is the part of the fraction. In this article, we will try to understand some basic concepts related to decimals such as their properties and the method of conversions.
Some Important Properties of Decimals
As mentioned above, decimals are the numbers that have the number (whole) and the part of the fraction which is separated by a point known as the decimal point. In the next paragraph, we will try to understand some properties of decimals. Some of them are mentioned below.
- When any two numbers which are represented as decimal numbers go through the process of multiplication, the resultant value remains the same.
- Similarly, when any two whole numbers and a number expressed in the form of the decimal are multiplied, the product or the resultant value is the same.
- When the number 1 is multiplied by the fraction of decimal, the value, at last, is the fraction of decimal itself.
- Similarly, if it is multiplied by the number zero, the resultant value comes to zero.
- When any number expressed in the form of decimal is divided by the number 1, the quotient is regarded as the number expressed and vice-versa.
- When 0 is being divided by any form of decimal, the value of the quotient comes to 0.
- We all know that the reciprocal of the number ‘0’ does not appear and seems to be non-existent. Thus, it is not possible to divide a decimal number by zero ‘0’.
Conversion of Decimal to Fraction
We can perform the conversion of decimal to fraction using very simple and easy steps. In order to convert decimal into fraction, simply write down numbers that are expressed in decimals in an expanded form and then simplify the values present. Let us take the help of an example in order to understand the concept in a better way.
Example 1: Convert the decimal representation of 0.65 into a fractional form?
Decimal form = 0.65
The expanded form of 0.65 is = 65/100.
On simplifying 65/100 we get = 13/20.
Thus, the fractional form of 0.65 is equal to 13/20.
Example 2: Convert the decimal representation of 0.35 into a fractional form?
Decimal form = 0.35
The expanded form of 0.35 is = 35/100.
On simplifying 35/100 we get = 7/20.
Thus, the fractional form of 0.35 is equal to 7/20.
If you want to learn about decimals in a detailed manner, a fun way, and an interactive manner, you may visit the Cuemath website.
Math worksheets are curated for various grade levels and topics. These worksheets reinforce the step-by-step learning mechanism, which assists students in approaching a problem strategically, recognizing their errors, and developing mathematical skills. It also aids students in active learning by creating an engaging learning experience through the use of a variety of questions rather than passively consuming video and audio content. Math worksheets allow students to solve problems at their own pace and give them a lot of time flexibility. In order to practice more and more worksheets for mathematics, you can visit the website of Cuemath as it provides you with a numerous number of these sheets.